Happy Valetine's Day Everyone! (or Organic Food Day if that's what you happen to be celebrating....it might just be my friend Carissa and I-so Happy OFD girl!).
I thought that instead of doing some kind of cheesy ode to romantic products that are only useful if you have someone to wear/use them for, I would instead share a few of my favorite beauty products that can be used by any woman, any time! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Aveda's Beautifying Composition Oil
I have to admit that when I first start learning about Aveda products, I was a bit skeptical. There is always that Western influence that tells me that Ayurvedic philosophy is just a fancy name for the placebo effect. It wasn't until I really started seeing the effects of these products that I became a believer in other healing methodologies. Still, when I heard about a "Beautifying Composition", I wanted to try it because I'm too much of a product junkie to pass it up, but was hesitant because even though all the sales people raved about it, how much could it really help?
Ladies, if you are going to have an all in one beauty product, THIS is the product you are going to want to buy. Beautifying contains moisturizing jojoba oil as well as lavender, bergamot, and rosemary oils and reminds me of that warm, earthy Aveda smell that is so relaxing and soothing. It works great not only as a stress relief, but it has nearly infinite uses!
Here are a few that I've tried and can personally attest to their efficacy:
1. The best eye make up remover! Yes, it is a little oily and you will need to remove some of the excess oil, but it does remove that stubborn eyeliner and mascara better than almost anything else I have tried. It's very gentle and didn't irritate my skin or burn like some removers tend to.
2. Tames frizz and adds shine! After flat-ironing my hair, I like to add a little bit of product just to smooth it and keep it from frizzing. Put a couple of drops on your finger tips and work it through your hair to give it a nice, healthy shine (just don't go overboard because after all, it is an oil).
3. Helps get rid of scarring! I heard about this trick by reading about in the product reviews on the Aveda website and decided to give it a go. I was stunned when I actually saw an improvement in some scarring I have on one of my legs. Of course this isn't meant to replace any kind of prescription for serious scarring, but for minor ones it does help!
4. Boosts the moisture effects of other moisturizers! Because this product is rather expensive ($21 for 1.7 oz), you can really get your money's worth by adding a few drops to a bottle of a drug store moisturizer. It will boost the effects and add a nice, light lavender fragrance!
5. Great for cuticles and dry hands! If you live in a dry climate, or even in the winter months, you know how harsh the weather can be on your hands. Remedy this by rubbing some beautifying on cracked or dry cuticles, or rough spots on hands. If you want a super moisturizing treatment, rub the oil all over your hands and sleep in cotton gloves.
Victoria's Secret Love Spell Body Butter
This is Victoria's Secret's best selling scent and for good reason! It's hard to describe the specific elements of this heavenly scent, but to me it just smells as sweet as candy. I absolutely love the Love Spell body butter because it is super softening, smells delicious, and leaves a soft shimmer behind, making it a fabulous product to use in the summer to enhance that sexy dress you want to wear out! Vicky's doesn't test on animals and there are generally sales that go on with their secret garden scents, making it an economically reasonable beauty pick!
Jessica Simpson's Fancy
I know that sometimes I cringe a little bit when celebrities come out with new fragrances...I mean, do I really want to smell like Paris Hilton? However, it only took one whiff of JS's Fancy to get me hooked. The scent boasts notes of Sparkling Pear and Juicy Apricot Nectar, along with Sandalwood, Caramel, and Vanilla creme. It really is a versatile scent because it's not too sexy that you can't wear it to class/work/internship, but it's not too "girl next door" that it wouldn't be sexy worn out! This has to be by far my favorite fragrance ever! If you are looking for a light, feminine scent that can be used for both day and night, this is the one!
ChapStick Fresh Effects Invigorating Green Tea Mint
I first found out about this chapstick from my sister who is a self-proclaimed chapstick addict. I usually don't care too much for the ChapStick brand chapsticks because in the past they have not been moisturizing enough, however, after using this product I am willing to give their other new products a go! The thing I love about this chapstick is that it really does a great job of moisturizing my lips and you can actually feel the mint tingly feeling on your lips, without a burning sensation. It really makes you want to reapply more often, and I think perhaps I do because the tingling sensation feels so nice!
Well, it is back to the books for me! Have a lovely Sunday evening everyone!